Same Day Surgery Instructions
PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PATIENTS RECEIVING SEDATION OR GENERAL ANESTHESIA
- The night before surgery eat a light meal, consume no alcoholic beverages.
- Your mouth and teeth should be well cleansed before your appointment. When rinsing, try not to swallow the water.
- Because anesthetic medications cause prolonged drowsiness, you MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult who will remain at the office during surgery, drive you home and stay with you until you are sufficiently recovered. This may be up to 24 hours.
- During recovery time (24 hours) you should not drive, operate complicated machinery or devices, or make important decision such as signing documents, etc.
- Wear a short sleeve tee shirt, no jewelry, no contact lenses. Bring eye glasses.
- If you have a change in your health, please contact our office.
- If you use an inhaler for asthma or a glucometer for diabetes, please bring it with you the day of surgery.
EATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR SEDATION OR GENERAL ANESTHESIA
MORNING SURGERY-NOTHING to eat or drink after midnight, NOT EVEN WATER. NO GUM.
AFTERNOON SURGERY-NO milk products or solid foods after midnight. A clear liquid breakfast is permitted·before 6:00a.m. (water,tea,black coffee, broth,plain jello or apple juice.) After 6:00 a.m. NOTHING, NOT EVEN WATER. NO GUM.
HOWEVER, it is important that your take any regular medications (high blood pressure, antibiotics,etc.) or any medications provided by this office using only a small sip of water.
PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS
Get to know us.
At Bloomington Oral Surgery, we know how to help you. Our board-certified surgeons and expert staff can provide the care you need to relieve the discomfort you feel.